Table of Contents
Read straight through, or jump to the section you want to read
With over 10 years of renting neurofeedback at home in US and Canada, our team of certified NeurOptimal trainers consists of licensed therapist and experienced rental coaches.
Fil out the form to get access to our support portal. or reach out your assigned rental manager.
You can also use the chat widget in lower right corner. Just add your name and state so we can better assist you.
Get Access to More Set-up Videos and Checklist Forms
What You Need Before Your First Session At Home
Your own headphones or earbuds (no wireless headphones). Or play the sound through the tablet's speaker. Both options are equally effective.
Your Wi-fi login information. The NeurOptimal® 3.0 software, requires a high-speed internet connection for it to work properly. Please make sure to connect the system to wi-fi and also use the system once per week.
Wet-wipes or damp paper towel. To wipe off the paste and clean the sensors afterwards.
- Time and Patience. Before your first session, we recommend watching set-up videos below or read through the manual before starting. Allow about one hour total time to complete a session. The program is 33 minutes long and it takes about 5-10 minutes to learn how to apply the sensors.
- Before your first session we strongly recommend all our renters fill out a Personal Checklist form and a Tracking Progress Journal form prior to starting and then again, after every 8 sessions (fill out the form to to download). By checking back regularly you create helpful feedback for your brain training process. For example, when clients see their 10 rating for "Feel Anxious" turn into a 4 after a few weeks of training, it is a like mirror that shows your progress. When renting from Neurofeedback Training Co.. these forms will also be sent in an email. Access these forms by filling out the form here.
Why rent a NeurOptimal System from Neurofeedback Training Co.?
- Easy to follow instructions: Each NeurOptimal home rental package comes with its own printed step-by-step manual, exclusive to Neurofeedback Training Co..
- We provide extra support: You will also be assigned an experienced neurofeedback trainer coach with weekly check-ins.
- Get tracking tools to measure progress: Fill out this form to download the recommended Checklist forms (see below).
STEP 1: Fill out a Checklist and Tracking Journal
These forms are used to track your progress
We strongly recommend all our renters fill out a Personal Checklist form and a Tracking Progress Journal form prior to starting and then again, after every 8 sessions. (To get access to these forms, please fill out this form). By checking back regularly you create helpful feedback for your brain training process. For example, when clients see their 10 rating for "Feel Anxious" turn into a 4 after a few weeks of training, it is a like mirror that shows your progress.
In this short video learn how to plug in all the components of the system (0.44 min.)
Unpack your system and plug in the power cord and zAmp. If you had the system shipped make sure to save all the packaging material and re-use upon return.
Longer demonstration on how to unpack and set-up the basics of the home rental (4 min.)
Natalie Baker, Advanced NeurOptimal Trainer and founder of Neurofeedback Training Co. demonstrates how to set up the system at home
STEP 3: Apply The Five EEG Sensors
Step-by-step Guide on How To Apply The 5 EEG Sensors
- Connect the zAmp (the rectangular device that has the 5 sensors) with the USB cable and into the tablet
- Place the zAmp where you will be working with it, either clipped to the front or back of a shirt or back of a chair is common or put it in your lap. In the beginning it may help to watch yourself in the mirror when applying and removing the sensors (just remember to connect the USB cord to the tablet before starting a session).
- Scoop just enough conductive paste onto sensors so the paste is covering the inner tip on both sides. When scooping paste put your forefinger on the back of the cup for support, preventing bending and possible sensor damage.
- EARS: Squeeze the BLUE SENSOR clip onto the top of the right ear. Apply paste in the same way to the BLACK SENSOR clip (this is the only black sensor that is located on right ear), and gently squeeze onto the ear lobe. Please note: No need to remove earrings, just make sure the paste is not touching them. It is ok to adjust clip positioning to work around them.
- SCALP: Pick up the YELLOW SENSOR and cover just enough paste on the plate. If you slide your fingers over the scalp about halfway point between the top of the ear and the top of the head, you will feel a bump with a dip right above it. That dip is your spot! If you can't find it no worries, just as long as it is halfway it's a good spot. Please note: NeurOptimal uses C3 and C4 - ie: the midpoints on each side of the head between the top of the ear and the top of the head. If you get them close to those points, then there is no “wrong place”.
- Part the hair as much as possible and apply the yellow sensor on scalp – you may feel the coolness of the paste. It's ok if the hair is not fully removed. Repeat the YELLOW SENSOR and BLUE SENSOR on the left side (it's only the right ear that you'll have an extra sensor).
Watch a demo on how to start a NeurOptimal® Session at Home (4 min.)
Natalie Baker, founder of Neurofeedback Training Co. demonstrates to operate the NeurOptimal 3 software and how to start a session.
Please note: Our systems do not come with a stylus pen -- just use your finger to tap!
Detailed instructions on how to open the NeurOptimal® program and start a session for the first time.
Connect your tablet to wi-fi and set it to connect automatically.
Tap on the NeurOptimal icon in lower task bar and wait
After opening up the program, a Vault Window (or dashboard) will appear. This Vault is the hub of the software and where you will start your session from.
If it is your first session, enter your name by tapping on "Client" (only need to do this once). The Al Digit is the default name but you will start the sessions from your name instead. Double tap on the blue bar that says "Client." In the window that appears next please fill out your first and last name (or your initials). No need to fill out anything else. Click OK. Can't type? Locate the keyboard icon in the bottom right corner. Only enter a name once and do not start a session under "Digit Al" (this is the default name which is used for quality control).
Already entered your name but cannot find it? Tap on "All" at the bottom of the Vault Window (or locate the first initial of your last name in the alphabet)..
Next, add the sensors and make sure all cords are connected (including the power cord). If you have stereo headphones, plug those in at the side of the tablet. (please don't use ony bluetooth headphones as the software is not compatible with NO software!). It's also OK to stream the sound from the tablet's speakers. Both works!
Start a session by tapping once on your name (name will appear with a blue background and white text). Then, double tap again on the name and session will begin. (Optional: One can also tap and hold with your finger on your name and choose "Start a Session" in the dropdown menu that appears.
Time to relax! Close your eyes, or read a book. It's also ok to talk while in session. If feeling tired, sleep is encouraged. Please note, there is no need to watch the moving screen images. The primary feedback is via audio. Once the session is over the music will stop. Go to step 5.
STEP 5: Close The NeurOptimal® Program
Shut down the tablet and clean the Sensors
When it's over, the music will stop – you are done with the session!
Close the program then gently clean the sensors carefully after each use with wet wipes (a wet paper towel is fine too) or in running warm water (make sure to dry them afterwards)! Any lingering paste can cause corrosion and will reduce the lifespan of your sensors. Do not soak in water.
Shut down the tablet when not in use afterwards and store it safely away, preferably in the case it came with.
Please no drinks or food around the machine and keep it clean!
All 5 EEG Sensors including the base has to be cleaned after each use to avoid replacement fees!
Good To Know...
Why the wi-fi?
Your system must be connected to the Internet at least once every seven days to keep licensing up to date. The simplest way for you to ensure this is to connect your system to your wireless network.
All systems rented out from Neurofeedback Training Co. are professional-grade neurofeedback machines with the NeurOptimal 3 software and the latest version. The user-interface may vary between systems, but please know that it is the exact same training no matter what system you’ll rent. Before renting, all our systems are checked by a NeurOptimal® technician and expert.
Problems with the Equipment?Try re-booting the system. If that still does not resolve the issue a remote technician needs to look at the software and operating system. Contact your assigned rental manager to explain the problem. WE'll ut the rental on hold for 24h to get it resolved. Then, fill out this form to get instructions on how to login to NeurOptimal remote tech support (ZenConnect). Please know the ZenConnect is only open on weekdays and closed on weekends and major U.S. and Canadian holidays. Best is to login to tech support in the mornings. If a technician cannot resolve the problem we'll send you a new rental at no extra cost. This feature is exclusive for Neurofeedback Training Co. renters!
Make sure to have the tablet connected to wi-fi, then start up tablet and the NeurOptimal® program before adding the sensors to make sure it’s working properly. If the program needs a software update (which always happens at start) it can take between 1 - 5 minutes. A reboot is recommended after an update.
NeurOptimal® Session Q&A
How do I know a session is in progress?
Make sure the steps on how to start a NeurOptimal session is followed correctly.
Look for these items:
- The light on the side of the zAmp is lit up in green (if it is not, start the session again and/or reboot tablet). Make sure you begin the session by double-tapping on your name!
- You'll hear music as well as the micro-pauses (feedback) in music from the headphones or the sound streaming from the tablet (works just as well).
- The timer in the smaller Vault window is counting down from 33 minutes.
The primary feedback is via audio, as long as you have the sensors placed on scalp and ears, hear the skips/gaps in music and see that the timer in the small Vault window is counting down from 33 minutes -- it is working. If you don't see the screensaver images (G-Force) or charts (Matrix Mirror)-- don't worry!
What Can I Do During A NeurOptimal Session?
There is absolutely no need to watch the screen while in session. Instead, try to relax; close your eyes, sleep, read a book or magazine, talk, draw, play a game etc... The system and your brain/central nervous system will do all the work. As long as you hear the audio (primary feedback), your session is in progress.
How will I feel after a session?
NeurOptimal® neurofeedback is naturopathic and does not “push” the brain in any particular direction. The system merely cues your central nervous system to do what is naturally best for YOUR brain. Because NeurOptimal system is non-invasive and does not push the brain in any “direction” during training, it is highly unlikely you will feel any side effects following a session. Any noticeable shifts in your mood, awareness or energy level after brain training really depends on the individual and can vary from session to session.
The main point is that transformation with neurofeedback happens according to the brain’s own intrinsic wisdom, with no conscious effort from the user.
Related YouTube Video:
Is it OK if I do other things while training such as read, talk or play games on iPad, etc.?
Yes! The NeurOptimal® Neurofeedback Trainer does not require you to place your attention on the training screen in order to run a successful session. The feedback comes primarily through interruptions in the music/audio. If you can hear the music, then the training session will be successful. You can read, sleep, meditate, whatever you feel inclined to do.
Related YouTube Video
Why is it important to have the system connected to wi-fi?
The software needs to be re-licensed and updated every 7 days. If it is not used within this time period or not connected to wi-fi the program will not open and a Tech Support call (remote connection with a NeurOptimal Technician) is then needed. To avoid this we ask the rental client to login to the wi-fi at start and leave it connected automatically. At times the program needs a software update (which always happens automatically at start). If there is an update, it's recommended to install and reboot tablet.
Commonly Asked Questions Setting Up A Session At Home
What does the EEG sensors do?
NeurOptimal 3.0 targets 20 different sets of frequencies across the right and left brain, each target naturally balancing off the effects of others.
During a session, the sensors will pick up delicate electrical activity of your brain. Much like an EKG or ECG, the NeurOptimal® neurofeedback device is simply reading this signal. Nothing invasive is involved with the training process.
NeurOptimal® neurofeedback is naturopathic and does not “push” the brain in any particular direction. The system merely cues your central nervous system to do what is naturally best for YOUR brain.
What if I apply the sensors to the wrong place?
NeurOptimal uses C3 and C4 - ie: the midpoints on each side of the head between the top of the ear and the top of the head. If you get them close to those points, then there is no “wrong place”.
What's the purpose of the music?
How neurofeedback works is actually not about the particular sound or sight but rather how the orienting or “pay attention to yourself” response of the brain gets triggered by stopping the music or visual display. We are “bio-hacking” by interrupting the habitual patterns through the use of the brain’s natural information gathering process, the orienting response. It’s triggered by interrupting the music which triggers the awareness response of the automatic functioning CNS to come into the present moment . This serves as an opportunity for the mal-adaptive habits, such as constantly being in a state of stress, to be revealed.
So while there is the necessity for sound it’s not the particulars of it, that make the neurofeedback work. It the interruption process at the exact millisecond the brain is about to change states (read by the electrical patterning) and perform an action that is key for the ‘feedback.’
Why do I hear the interruptions (feedback) even if the sensors are not placed on my scalp and ears?
EEG Sensors: Watch this short video explaining what the sensors do.
My child is having a hard time to sit still for a full session. What can I do?
If finding it difficult to sit through the standard 33 minute program we recommend starting with the 15 minute Demo version. One can train daily (or every other day) to build up tolerance to sit through the regular 33 minute version.
Read our blog to get more brain training tips!