- I. Sweat: (your own natural conductive solution) If you sweat easily or sweat a lot, you already have your conductive solution in place, and it will replenish itself automatically. If you don't sweat easily or normally, you can start doing some light exercise right now, to get the sweating started. Just a little bit is quite enough. Now if you do need a little extra help to get enough sweat, try saliva (another natural conductive solution). If that's too personal and repulsive for you, below is a more formal solution.
- II. Conductive solution: (artificial sweat) Just drop a tiny pinch (less than 0.5g) of table salt (NaCl) into a little water (5~10cc), stir with your finger a bit, apply a drop of the solution using the finger to the electrodes and to the skin locations. You are ready to go, and the rest of the conductive solution should last quite many days. Now if you prefer to turn the ordinary into something more elaborate, here it is:
- III. Conductive gel: Just mix a tiny pinch of table salt, into your favorite gel (aloe vera gel is nice), and you are done (see link below). A little (5~10cc) can go a long way. It's really not that critical if the salt amount is a bit more or a bit less. If you like, adding a few drops of shampoo can help with oily skins too. The conductive gel is very easy to clean up, just wash off with water.
NEUROPTIMAL® NEUROFEEDBACK TECHNICAL SUPPORT
TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS FOR OUR RENTERS
Are you a neurofeedback at home renter? If renting a NeurOptimal neurofeedback device from Neurofeedback Training Co. and need help troubleshooting, see this guide for answers.
Use also the Chat Widget in lower right corner to chat with a neurofeedback trainer. Our neurofeedback trainers are available during regular business hours. Please identify yourself as a renter so we can help you further.
Table of Contents
- Troubleshooting Tips
- Common Error Messages
- Locate Name In Vault
- ZAmp Problems - My zAmp light is not coming on
- NeurOptimal Tech Support
NEUROPTIMAL TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS
Here is a list of frequently asked questions when troubleshooting your NeurOptimal neurofeedback equipment.
Common Error Messages
If the system freezes, doesn't respond or error messages pops up.
Restart the tablet. Often a reboot helps. Can't restart the tablet? Do a hard reset. Here's a guide on how to force a shutdown and restart the Surface Tablet from Microsoft.
Login to the internet to allow software updates. It's required to do have the system connected to wi-fi and software opened every 7 days for the licensing to stay up to date. If there is an update available, please do so and always reboot system after an update.
Make sure the power cord and the zAmp (the device with EEG sensors) are plugged in and connected. If it’s not charging, try a different outlet. (If the tablet's battery was depleted, it may take some time for the tablet to start, leave it plugged in and revisit in 10 min. or so)
Start the NeurOptimal program before adding the sensors. Updates happen at start of program and may take from 2 - 10 minutes to do. It’s a good idea to wait until system has loaded before adding the sensors. If you don't have time for an update, bypass this and do it after your session (a restart is required).
Can't Locate Name in the Vault (Dashboard)?
Here's a brief video explaining how to add a name and toggle between already added names (hint: locate the alphabet at the bottom of Vault Window then choose the letter of your initials (if the letter is highlighted it's been added!)
Tablet/Laptop Not Charging?
Try a different outlet and leave it over night. If not try the hold the power button and up sound at same time for 30 sec or so. See Microsoft support page here. (PLEASE NOTE: charge the tablet/laptop while doing a session as the program is large and drains the battery quickly - you may be able to get in one or two session if it’s fully charged!)
zAmp Problems (the device with the sensors): My zAmp light is not coming on
Make sure the zAmp is connected before you start the program and preferably before you start up the machine.
Sometimes when starting a session, the following message can appear: "The zAmp cannot be verified at this time"
Connect your tablet to Wi-Fi
Restart the system.
Unplug the USB cord and plug back again on both the zAmp and Tablet (try also a different port)
Start up the tablet and open the NeurOptimal program again
- Start a session; Make sure to start the session correctly by double tapping on your name in the blue bar (or tap and hold on the name and choose "start a session" from the pull-down menu. (Please do not start a session by double tapping on the session date below a name, that will only play back a previous session)
If that doesn't help, contact us by using the chat widget in lower right corner, or by emailing your rental manager and login to NeurOptimal tech support called ZenConnect (see below).
Question: "My zAmp light won't come on. Both ends of the USB cable are plugged in. The music is on and the pretty patterns are flowing on the screen but the number in the smaller control window in the media player is not counting down and the zAmp light is not on. The icon in the task bar on the lower right of the screen shows that the cable is connected."
Answer: This means that the session was not started properly and it is in play-back mode. Stop the session (tap on square icon). Locate your name (tap "All" in lower left corner and double tap on your name to start the session. There are two ways to start a session; Double tap on your name (blue bar), or tap and hold on the blue bar next to your name and choose "Start a Session" from the drop-down menu.
Look for these three items:
- The zAmp's green light is on
- The timer is counting down from 33 minutes in the small Media Window called "The Vault"
- Music is playing from the tablet, with micro-interruptions (skips) in the music
Software Update Problems
How to fix an software update issue without ZenConnect:
Fix for: I'm Getting A Message That My License Is Expired.
Make sure your tablet is connected to your wi-fi
If it has not been used within 7 days, the licensing needs to be renewed by logging in to tech support. Email your rental manager and email firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, mention the name of your system (back of tablet). If you don't know what it is, ask your rental manager. Tech support will email you back with a license key code, then follow these step-by-step options.
If there is no sound, try this:
- Verify that the volume is not muted or set very low on the computer. Click on the sound icon in the Windows lower taskbar and adjust volume. (On a tablet, the sound control is also located in the upper left corner, next to the power button).
Reboot your system and reopen program
Still not working?
1. Click on the sound icon in the Windows taskbar and switch the Sound device to Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio or similar).
2. G-force may be working with the sound correctly. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dila872VAs&feature=youtu.be
For more FAQs go to NeurOptimal's Website here
EEG Sensors Issues
After each session, make sure to clean the EEG sensors. The paste corrode the sensors very easily.
The EEG sensors consists of five silver electrodes, applied on ears & scalp, centered between the ear and the crown of the head on the bony ridge (Central points C3 & C4). The electrodes are applied with EEG paste. It is water soluble electrical conductance material composed primarily of salts in order to enhance the monitoring of the minute electrical pulses of the brain.
The EEG Sensors are pure silver, if allergic to silver and/or the conductive paste we use (Ten20), then you can make your own using simple household products.
DYI conductive solution can also be made with toothpaste and salt if you are allergic to the Conductive paste we provide.
If the sensors fall off during a session and it's been less than 3-4 minutes. Just place it back again and continue. One can also start a new session from the beginning.
How to make DIY conductive solution and electrode gel
NeurOptimal® Tech Support - Login to ZenConnect
If a reboot of the system doesn't solve the problem its recommended to login to tech support for a NeurOptimal® technician (ZenConnect) to troubleshoot the system. A tech support login may take from 10 min. to 30 min. and that is the only way to troubleshoot the system. A high-speed internet connection is required. If you have limited time, email email@example.com ahead and notify NeurOptimal tech support about the issues before you log on. Check your printed manual for the login information or contact your rental manager for the login.
Watch the video here on how to allow tech support experts to troubleshoot your home system. Once logged in, tap on the ZenConnect button and follow the instructions from the video. (Contact your rental manager for login)
If you need help logging in to NeurOptimal technical support this is a free service we provide for renters. You can call them at 1-866-990-6784 ext 750
When logging in to tech support (ZenConnect) please add your name + Neurofeedback Training Renter. Working with...(Amy, Kate or Sara). Make sure to allow 30 minutes to allow the technician's to troubleshoot. Best time to login are mornings. Once logged in there is no need to monitor them working on the system. It's OK to step away. Just make sure the powercord and zAmp is plugged in. Once the technician is finished they will add a note in the system.
PLEASE NOTE: NeurOptimal® Tech Support are only available on weekdays, Monday to Fridays from 7am - 7pm EST. It is closed on major holidays. During Summer they close earlier on Fridays ( 7 AM - 4 PM EST).
Need further assistance?
Our neurofeedback trainer coaches are standing by to help! Use the Chat Widget in lower right corner; address your concern, include your name, email address and one of our trainers will respond ASAP.