- I. Sweat: (your own natural conductive solution) If you sweat easily or sweat a lot, you already have your conductive solution in place, and it will replenish itself automatically. If you don't sweat easily or normally, you can start doing some light exercise right now, to get the sweating started. Just a little bit is quite enough. Now if you do need a little extra help to get enough sweat, try saliva (another natural conductive solution). If that's too personal and repulsive for you, below is a more formal solution.
- II. Conductive solution: (artificial sweat) Just drop a tiny pinch (less than 0.5g) of table salt (NaCl) into a little water (5~10cc), stir with your finger a bit, apply a drop of the solution using the finger to the electrodes and to the skin locations. You are ready to go, and the rest of the conductive solution should last quite many days. Now if you prefer to turn the ordinary into something more elaborate, here it is:
- III. Conductive gel: Just mix a tiny pinch of table salt, into your favorite gel (aloe vera gel is nice), and you are done (see link below). A little (5~10cc) can go a long way. It's really not that critical if the salt amount is a bit more or a bit less. If you like, adding a few drops of shampoo can help with oily skins too. The conductive gel is very easy to clean up, just wash off with water.
NEUROPTIMAL® NEUROFEEDBACK TECHNICAL SUPPORT
If renting a NeurOptimal neurofeedback device from Neurofeedback Training Co. and need help troubleshooting help, see this guide for answers.
Use the Chat Widget in lower right corner to chat with a neurofeedback trainer coach. Please dentify yourself and also which state you are located in so we can help you further.This support is exclusively for Neurofeedback Training Co. renters only. If you are renting from someone else, please contact that company or NeurOptimal directly for further assistance.
Not a renter yet? View pricing plans here.
Table of Contents
Read straight through, or jump to the section you want to read:
Neurofeedback Training Co. Renters!
Get expert help from a NeurOptimal technician.This is a service only available for Neurofeedback Training Co. renters. (All renters systems and names will be verified when logging in from the tablet). Call ZenConnect support phone: 1-866-990-6784 ext 750.
Here is a list of frequently asked questions when troubleshooting your NeurOptimal neurofeedback equipment from Neurofeedback Training Co..
Common Error Messages (If the system freezes, doesn't respond or error messages pops up)
- Restart the tablet. Often a reboot helps. Can't restart the tablet? Do a hard reset. Here's a guide on how to force a shutdown and restart the Surface Tablet from Microsoft.
- Is the tablet connected to wi-fi? Login to the internet to allow software updates. It's required to do have the system connected to wi-fi and software opened every 7 days for the licensing to stay up to date. If there is an update available, please do so and always reboot system after an update.
- Make sure the power cord and the zAmp (the device with EEG sensors) are plugged in and connected. If it’s not charging, try a different outlet. (If the tablet's battery was depleted, it may take some time for the tablet to start, leave it plugged in and revisit in 10 min. or so)
- Start the NeurOptimal program before adding the sensors. Updates happen at start of program and may take from 2 - 10 minutes to do. It’s a good idea to wait until system has loaded before adding the sensors. If you don't have time for an update, bypass this and do it after your session (a restart is required)
Learn more how NeurOptimal works
Locate Name in the Vault (Dashboard)?
Here's a brief video explaining how to add a name and toggle between already added names (hint: locate the alphabet at the bottom of Vault Window then choose the letter of your initials (if the letter is highlighted it's been added!)
Tablet/Laptop Not Charging?
Try a different outlet and leave it overnight. If not try the hold the power button and up sound at the same time for 30 sec or so. See the Microsoft support page here. (PLEASE NOTE: charge the tablet/laptop while doing a session as the program is large and drains the battery quickly - you may be able to get in one or two sessions if it’s fully charged!)
zAmp Problems (the device with the sensors):
My zAmp light is not coming on!
Make sure the zAmp is connected before you start the program and preferably before you start up the machine.
Sometimes when starting a session, the following message can appear: "The zAmp cannot be verified at this time"
Connect your tablet to Wi-Fi
Restart the system.
Unplug the USB cord and plug back again on both the zAmp and Tablet (try also a different port)
Start up the tablet and open the NeurOptimal program again
- Start a session; Make sure to start the session correctly by double tapping on your name in the blue bar (or tap and hold on the name and choose "start a session" from the pull-down menu. (Please do not start a session by double tapping on the session date below a name, that will only play back a previous session)
If that doesn't help, contact us by using the chat widget in lower right corner, or by emailing your rental manager and login to NeurOptimal tech support called ZenConnect (see below).
Question: "My zAmp light won't come on. Both ends of the USB cable are plugged in. The music is on and the pretty patterns are flowing on the screen but the number in the smaller control window in the media player is not counting down and the zAmp light is not on. The icon in the taskbar on the lower right of the screen shows that the cable is connected."
Answer: This means that the session was not started properly and it is in playback mode. Stop the session (tap on the square icon). Locate your name (tap "All" in the lower left corner and double-tap on your name to start the session. There are two ways to start a session; Double tap on your name (blue bar), or tap and hold on the blue bar next to your name and choose "Start a Session" from the drop-down menu.
When starting a NeurOptimal session, always look for these three items:
- The zAmp's green light is on
- The timer is counting down from 33 minutes in the small Media Window called "The Vault"
- Music is playing from the tablet, with micro-interruptions/skips in the music
Software Update Problems: How to fix a software update issue without ZenConnect:
Download NeurOptimal® Software Update Troubleshooting Guide
Fix for: I'm Getting A Message That My License Is Expired.
Make sure your tablet is connected to your wi-fi
If it has not been used within 7 days, the licensing needs to be renewed by logging in to tech support. Email your rental manager and email email@example.com. In your email, mention the name of your system (back of tablet). If you don't know what it is, ask your rental manager. Tech support will email you back with a license key code, then follow these step-by-step options.
If there is no sound, try this:
- Verify that the volume is not muted or set very low on the computer. Click on the sound icon in the Windows lower taskbar and adjust volume. (On a tablet, the sound control is also located in the upper left corner, next to the power button).
Reboot your system and reopen program
Still not working?
1. Click on the sound icon in the Windows taskbar and switch the Sound device to Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio or similar).
2. G-force may be working with the sound correctly. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dila872VAs&feature=youtu.be
For more FAQs go to NeurOptimal's Website here
EEG Sensors Issues
After each session, make sure to clean the EEG sensors. The paste corrode the sensors very easily.
The EEG sensors consists of five silver electrodes, applied on ears & scalp, centered between the ear and the crown of the head on the bony ridge (Central points C3 & C4). The electrodes are applied with EEG paste. It is water soluble electrical conductance material composed primarily of salts in order to enhance the monitoring of the minute electrical pulses of the brain.
The EEG Sensors are pure silver, if allergic to silver and/or the conductive paste we use (Ten20), then you can make your own using simple household products.
DYI conductive solution can also be made with toothpaste and salt if you are allergic to the Conductive paste we provide.
If the sensors fall off during a session and it's been less than 3-4 minutes. Just place it back again and continue. One can also start a new session from the beginning.
How to make DIY conductive solution and electrode gel
Login to ZenConnect (NeurOptimal® Tech Support)
If a reboot of the system doesn't solve the problem its recommended to login to tech support for a NeurOptimal® technician (ZenConnect) to troubleshoot the system. A tech support login may take from 10 min. to 30 min. and that is the only way to troubleshoot the system. A high-speed internet connection is required. If you have limited time, email firstname.lastname@example.org ahead and notify NeurOptimal tech support about the issues before you log on. Check your printed manual for the login information or contact your rental manager for the login.
Watch the video here or see below on how to allow tech support experts to troubleshoot your home system. Once logged in, tap on the ZenConnect button and follow the instructions from the video. (Contact your rental manager for login).
If you need help logging into NeurOptimal technical support this is a free service we provide for renters. You can call them at 1-866-990-6784 ext 750
Please note: When logging in to tech support (ZenConnect) please add your name + Neurofeedback Training Renter. Working with...(Amy, Kim or Sara). Make sure to allow 30 minutes to allow the technicians to troubleshoot. The best time to log in is mornings. Once logged in there is no need to monitor them working on the system. It's OK to step away. Just make sure the power cord and zAmp are plugged in. Once the technician is finished they will add a note in the system.
NeurOptimal® Tech Support is only available on weekdays, Monday to Friday from 7 am - 4 pm PST. It is closed on major holidays. During Summer they close earlier on Fridays ( 7 AM - 1 PM PT).
How to do a Short Demo Session
Watch this video to learn how to do a Demo (15 min.) or Extended Session (44 min.)
Demo Session How-to:
- Tap on the trainee's name and highlight it
- Tap on the "settings icon" (wrench icon) and hold.
- In the pop up menu, tap on "Session" and hold until a third window shows up.
- Tap and choose "Demo"
- Double tap on your name to start a session per usual (alternatively tap and hold on the blue bar next to your name and choose "Start a session" from the menu.
The timer will now count down from 15 minutes (or 44 min. if extended was chosen). Please note: There is no data that proves the extended session provides better results than the regular session.
Please note: The Demo session is 15 min. and Extended session is 44 min. long. The Regular session is 33 minutes long and what is normally used in-office sessions.
Need further assistance?
Our neurofeedback trainer coaches are standing by to help! Use the Chat Widget in lower right corner; address your concern, include your name, email address and one of our trainers will respond ASAP.